Monday, June 22, 2009

If I Were a Cat

I'd lie on my mother's breast
nurse for a while
then sleep the sleep of the well-fed
I'd dream
of chasing daisies in the field
Waking, I'd stretch long and deep
open my mouth so wide
butterflies would rush in
If I were a cat
I'd make playthings of small creatures
bat them about
pretend to free them
then reach out, grab them by the tail
and eat them
If I were a cat I'd taunt the dog
pretend to fall out the window
then pull back at the last possible moment
laughing at his stupid expression
If I were a cat
I'd find a partner and have dozens of babies
Each perfect, just like me

2 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Beautiful then and beautiful now!

smartz said...

Thank you. I want to start writing more, not just once a month : ), so appreciate the encouragement.