Tuesday, June 9, 2009

"Good driving has nothing to do with sex."

"It's all above the collar." Alice Huyler Ramsey (1887-1983)

As someone who loves to drive, I'm fascinated by Ms. Ramsey's story. In 1909, accompanied by two sisters-in-law and a woman friend, Alice drove a Maxwell 30 from Manhattan to San Francisco in 59 days. A graduate of Vassar (1907), she was inducted into the Automotive Hall of Fame in 1970. Over the years, she repeated the cross country trip more than 30 times. 

Happy Birthday Alice!

(Thanks to Wikipedia for the above information.)

4 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Ahhh, I thought driving and sex were very similar....;-) (nice post)

smartz said...

Thanks. I've missed you but realize we all must make sacrifices for the great novel. Hope it's going well!

Cindy Cornell said...

I have been sublimating sex with driving for a long time now. Can't wait for my road trip in July. My Scion vibrates nicely on that Oregon desert highway.

smartz said...

WooHoo!