Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Uprooted

All my life I've needed a sense of place, a space where I can put down roots, even if only for a week or a month or a year. For the last 30 months I've made do in one room with a 1/2 bath. I've filled my meager space with the things I can't live without: my Frida Kahlo bust, as many books as I can cram into the limited bookshelves, my giraffe, masks, drums, chimes, blue glass, photos of my mother and father as infants, rocks, shells, etc. etc. etc. And yet much of the time I feel unfettered, uprooted, drifting, and lonely.

3 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Smartz, Smartz, Smartz...we should colaborate on something. Your writing is mournful in all the ways that count. (meanwhile we'll be out of town for a few weeks if you'd like to spend a week or so in Santa Cruz)

Cindy Cornell said...

Bring your roots to my house and we'll splash some L'Oreal on 'em. Platinum Blonde is on sale at Target this week.

smartz said...

Thanks to you both. It helps to have an escape hatch!