Friday, August 6, 2010

A Long Time Ago in a Faraway Place

I left Lueders, TX, in December, 1954. This photo of the football team was taken two years later. My "true love," Johnny Lambert, is the last boy in the bottom row. I saw him only once afterwards when my father and stepmother took me by to see Granddaddy Clark. Johnny heard that I was in town (his family ran the telephone office) and came over to say hello. An awkward, self-conscious preteen, I was so embarrassed I wouldn't talk to him. I heard  later that he died young. I never forgave myself for such foolish disregard of his feelings.

1 comment:

Taylor said...

Hi Sandra. We've all been there I think. Mine was Michael Cisar. He adored me and I ignored him--totally. Strange that I think he looks out for me now -- he died at 49. My favorite "true love/soul mate" scene is in The Things They Carried--Linda and Timmy skating. I think O'Brien captures in a few sentences the essence of love, hope and what being a writer is.

I've posted your link on several postings in Twitter, etc. Just love your mix. Cheers. Taylor