Monday, March 21, 2011

Life with Picasso

"I met Pablo Picasso in May 1943, during the German Occupation of France. I was twenty-one and I felt already that painting was my whole life." Francoise Gilot

Thus begins my latest discovery as an "accidental reader." I collect books from all sorts of places: friends, thrift stores, and even an occasional bookstore. But my greatest joy comes from the serendipity of connecting with a story somewhat by chance. 

I've loved Picasso as long as I can remember, and certainly with great passion after seeing the massive retrospective of his work in NYC in the 80s.

"Gilot's recall of Picasso's discussions about art, details of private visits to friends such as Matisse, Braque, and Giacometti, and her intimate understanding of his temperament make this work unique." Daily Telegraph

(Get the hardcover as one Amazon reviewer warned of really bad editing of the the paperback.)


7 comments:

Cindy Cornell said...

Great photo!

smartz said...

Thanks! She was a beautiful woman. And they had an interesting relationship (at least at the beginning).

William Pogi Chua said...

I like this blog!
Picasso used his women in his paintings, not always in flattering ways. I have two Picasso reproductions in my room.
Thanks for sharing. I'll try to get this book.

smartz said...

Thanks William. I think you'll enjoy the book!

yanmaneee said...

kyrie 6
yeezy 700
stone island t shirt
kd 12
supreme clothing
yeezys
longchamp outlet
kyrie 5 spongebob
off white nike
yeezy boost

best bath towels 2020 said...

I've loved Picasso as long as I can remember, and certainly with great passion after seeing the massive retrospective of his work in NYC in the 80s.
bedsheets online ,
egyptian cotton bedding ,

Unknown said...

click to investigate d0j14z9v99 7a replica bags wholesale replica bags hong kong replica bags online pakistan you could check here a2l24a3t37 replica bags korea original site x9l38a6s13 replica wallets replica bags qatar