Thursday, March 31, 2011

Celebrating the Legacy of Cesar Chavez

Chris Ballin with her beloved father

I met Chris at TRW in Redondo Beach in the early 70s. It was a life changing experience. Through our friendship I learned about political activism first hand. I also learned about having fun (dancing our asses off, monthly spaghetti parties, and weekend trips to Baja). She had two daughters, I had two sons. We both had multiple marriages and divorces. We both came from working class families and knew firsthand the importance of hard work and challenging authority. When I met Chris, she had already made a commitment to support Cesar Chavez and the United Farm Workers boycott of grapes, wine, and lettuce. And Coors beer never touched her lips. It was an exhilarating time. Chris is no longer with us in this dimension, but she will remain in my heart forever.

2 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Sandra, what an incredible photo. I really really love it. And what a beautiful tribute, to Cesar, and to Chris and your lives together.

smartz said...

Thank you. I still miss her deeply. Having an ongoing friendship with her daughter in Sacramento is a great comfort.