Tuesday, March 16, 2010

If You Were to Return in Dreams

If you were to return in dreams
I’d turn away, afraid to look,
Afraid to hope
that it could all have been 
a loathsome trick
a mistake.
The speed, the wall
metal splattering across the median
the phone call, the disbelief
the searing acceptance,
the scream.

If you were to return in dreams
what would we talk about?
The children impoverished 
in ways beyond counting
the empty places in the family album
where you will never be middle-aged
a grandfather
a proper old-man corpse.

I’d try to say how sorry I am
for harsh words, unanswered phone calls
tough love that led to unimagined consequences
for loving too much, trying too hard, 
not trying harder
for being the first to blame
but also glad that I was always
the last to let go of the possibility
that things would get better.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Powerful and painful.

Anonymous said...

I'm not used to being "anonymous". The first comment was mine. Coop

smartz said...

Thank you. It's an old piece, but obviously an important one for me. Leaving for Texas tonight and thinking about my father and feeling sad that he will not be there. Maybe I'll write about that.

Cindy Cornell said...

Your heart pours out with just the right words.

Anonymous said...

i truly enjoy your writing way, very unique,
don't give up and keep posting in all honesty , because it just very well worth to read it,
excited to look over even more of your own article content, have a good one ;)