Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Fog and Ice

She dreams of how it will be
when she is old and he,
not much younger
will decide she is no longer of use
to herself or others
and consign her to the home
away from home

The home where old men and women
locked in rooms at night
are left alone
to face the silence
and unanswered questions

What was it for?
How could it have been different?
Who am I?

She fantasizes a different outcome
one based on legends
movie scenarios
where the old are set on ice floes
no food or water
left to drift
to die alone

Without drugs
without machines
without somber-faced relatives petting hands
and wiping away the spittle
Without their unspoken prayer
“God, let her get on with this
So we can get home and get some sleep.”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa!!!! Incredible. (coop)

smartz said...

I debated with myself about posting this one as it is a bit personal. And I found out my son sometimes reads my blog. But, since I had read it to him when I first wrote it, decided "What the hell."

Thanks for your comment :>)