Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Like Something Wild

Lord have mercy, it’s good to see you. Why the last time I saw you was when you and the boys left that husband of yours and come back to your Daddy’s place.
Speaking of George, he sure looks old lately. Hard to believe he’s the same man as that young soldier in the picture album. So handsome, so full of mischief. I bet nearly every woman in town had her eye on him but he just had to have that mother of yours. Can’t say I blame him much. She did have that look. Some folks said it was a bad look, like something wild. But I think she was just stuck too early in life with a grownup body and a young girl’s mind.
Why she was only fourteen when they took off for San Antonio to get married and her already leaving her first husband behind. Then you came along, all eyes and curly blonde hair. You know I think that was the happiest time they had together.
Of course, everybody always said how you looked like her and maybe that’s why your daddy was sometimes hard on you. You just reminded him too much of her. She named you, you know. He got so mad when you changed your name. Maybe he felt like that was all he had left of her.
Well, honey, I got to go put on supper. I hope you find what you’re looking for. And it don’t matter to me what you call yourself.  

2 comments:

Cindy Cornell said...

I love this voice.

smartz said...

Thank you. She's a little shy at times, but is working on that.