Sunday, August 16, 2009

My 25 Most Favorite Books

My 25 Favorite Books

1. Bastard Out of Carolina (Dorothy Allison)

2. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou)

3. My Antonia (Willa Cather)

4. The Tortilla Curtain (T. Coraghessan Boyle)

5. House on Mango Street (Sandra Cisneros)

6. Beautiful Losers (Leonard Cohen)

7. Sand and Foam (Kahlil Gibran)

8. Jude the Obscure (Thomas Hardy)

9. The Poisonwood Bible (Barbara Kingsolver)

10. China Men (Maxine Hong Kingston)

11. The Golden Notebook (Doris Lessing)

12. Dreams of My Father (Barack Obama)

13. The English Patient (Michael Ondaatje)

14. The History of the World (George Orwell)

15. The Omnivore’s Dilemma (Michael Pollan)

16. The Shipping News (Annie Proulx)

17. Black and Blue (Anna Quindlen)

18. For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow Is Enuf (Ntozake Shange)

19. A Life in Letters (John Steinbeck, et al)

20. Grapes of Wrath (John Steinbeck)

21. Breakfast of Champions (Kurt Vonnegut)

22. Slaughterhouse 5 (Kurt Vonnegut)

23. The Color Purple (Alice Walker)

24. The Outline of History (H. G. Wells)

25. Merriam Webster Collegiate Dictionary

4 comments:

AMGallegos said...

Thanks! This is so great to see your list of favourite books! I've read some of those and will have to pick up the rest. I'm reading Ondaatje's Divisadero right now and loving it!

smartz said...

Thanks. I enjoyed trying to look back over the past and remember some of my favorites. I have to admit I cheated by looking on Amazon as I couldn't remember some of the titles or authors :)

CJGallegos said...

Smartz, I'm impressed. I can't remember books I read last month. Some on your list though are my all time favorites too, like Shipping News for example...

smartz said...

I'm challenging you both to put together a list of your favorites. Don't let the count deter. Start with one and see how far you go. Just like the reading...