Monday, May 25, 2009

In Memoriam

August 23, 1918-February 11, 2004
I lived with my father less than ten years but few days pass that I don't think of him one way or another: the way I save everything, convinced that I'll use it someday, the many ways my son favors him, the pleasure he took from playing with the cat.

He served 12 years in the Army-Air Force, taking an early discharge rather than ship off to England without my stepmother and stepsister. So, he never collected a pension. But he did remain proud of his service to his country. And I am forever proud of him.

2 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Great post, Smartz...and beautiful writing.

smartz said...

Thank you. I love this photograph of my father. I think it captured his personality in his younger days: cocky and fun-loving. I think I got that gene :)