Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Veteran's Day


This photo represents a time when James was feeling strong and self-confident. Having just finished Marine bootcamp, he felt a part of something larger than himself. Sadly, within a relatively short time, he was assigned to endless days of mindless maneuvers and resorted to endless weekends of drugs and alcohol.
At some point he went AWOL and ended up in the brig. He eventually fathered a son, married, fathered two more children, divorced, dealt drugs, fathered another child, and lived on the edge for the rest of his short life.
But I will forever remember that tearful day when I watched my son stand with his Marine brothers, feeling strong and full of purpose.

3 comments:

CJGallegos said...

Just an incredible piece, raw, real, tragic and full of love.

smartz said...

Thank you. I was so sad the day of his graduation because he was so aloof. I had no idea, of course, just how sad life could be.

AMGallegos said...

Oh Sandra, this is a very sad and powerful post. As a parent, it really touches my heart and makes me think...