Thursday, January 21, 2010

For Chris

I miss your calls on the weekend
full of medical details
and updates on your beloved granddaughter

I miss your spontaneous visits
driving five hours from King’s Beach
to celebrate Martin Luther King’s birthday
or just to watch an old black-and-white movie

I miss the bottle of wine 
that loosened memories,
our shared histories, exaggerated
for their comic relief and ability to heal

I miss the idle hours together
fantasizing a compound where 
as crazy old women
we’d sit in a garden 
tended by young men and women
in daffodil yellow and cornflower blue

I miss your anger at injustice
your unrelenting introspection
your blind faith in a higher power
I miss knowing that a visit
was just a phone call away

2 comments:

Sherry said...

I miss Chris saying, "The goddess will provide". I miss Chris' tamale and spaghetti gatherings. I miss Chris for her passionate conversation and crystal clear thinking. I miss Chris' white, one piece overall. I miss seeing her dancing her heart out at Friday nights. Godspeed,Chris. My life is still enriched by your presence in my mind.

smartz said...

Thank you so much for the beautiful tribute to Chris. We will all miss her forever.