Saturday, July 18, 2009

Tumbling Tumbleweeds

This morning John and I started the process of cleaning out the weeds that have taken over the long drive-way and entry to our property. Mostly it was an unnamed tenacious weed and some plants that couldn't make it without a good watering. Here and there were a few tumbleweeds.

Tumbleweeds populated my childhood in Texas and New Mexico. For me they symbolize loneliness (just ask any cowboy working the back forty), persistence (impossible to ever rid yourself of them), and creativity (spray them white, add some colored ornaments, and you have yourself an affordable Christmas tree).

Enjoy the following YouTube version of Tumbling Tumbleweeds by one of my childhood heroes, Roy Rogers, and The Sons of the Pioneers.

3 comments:

CJGallegos said...

I'm speechless. (of course I can always find something to say..)When I hitchhiked to Cleveland, (for example) I was convinced tumbleweeds were alive. I lived in fear of them. I had monster dreams of them pursuing me down the endless blacktopped miles.

smartz said...

And I'm sure they could if they wanted to. They are magic on some level.

Cindy Cornell said...

We have so much underlying, unspoken, in common. I was in love with Roy Rogers and Dale Evans was one of my role models - the other being Della Street. I loved them all for their integrity and beauty.